Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 37: I Belly Survived Wipe-out Wednesday!

If Malevolent Mondays are a thing to be dreaded and Tortuous Tuesdays cannot be avoided, what can possibly be done to weather Wipe-out Wednesdays?! Since today marks the half-way point of my second week of diligently working out (weight training and cardio) and the second week of the Flat Belly Diet, I thought it only fitting you should get a glimpse into my middle-of-the-week Hump-day (as Jason calls it).

Today was very nearly a complete disaster! My sweet little boy caught something nasty somewhere and, in the process of tending to his little (often whiny) needs, his germs felt they should play war with my white blood cells - thus the feeling icky this week, particularly today.

And yet, in the face of such adverse conditions, I've managed to haul my reluctant body to the gym each day. My ultimate goal is to work out five days a week (in the early morning), alternating weight training with cardio exercises AND doing at least a 30-minute walk each day. Last week, I got in four days and walked quite a bit on the fifth day while doing errands.

So... what factors force me to leave my lovely home into the unfriendly atmosphere of the gym? First, I know somewhere in the anklebone of my heart that I will feel better after having exercised. Second, the blog creates such a burden of responsibility on me, I feel obligated to go. Third, I have an amazing husband who is dedicated to my pursuit of weight loss and it is he who frequently encourages and gently kicks me out the door to do the thing I know I must. Lastly, I am still in awe of the reader(s) who paid for our YMCA membership... I owe you and, so far, the only way I can repay you is by constant dedication to working out regularly.

Food? You know, with this diet, I have become painfully aware that most, if not all, of my eating happens from non-hunger influences. I like to eat when I'm bored, upset, stressed, exhausted, depressed, celebratory... the list goes on. Even though my diet has a snack available, I am still amazed at how much I want to eat - not need to eat; want to eat.

Today was very nearly a disaster because of that. I wasn't feeling great, had been listening to kids whine all day, didn't get the stuff done I'd hoped for, and just wanted to sit around and do nothing. Would you believe it? The one bottom-line factor that kept me from indulging in an extra handful of chocolate and more breakfast bars (or worse) was the knowledge that I would have to post at the end of the day... and I, as sure as all that is yummy, did not want to post a failure.

When you get tempted to eat more food; run away and refocus. This whole self-control thing is NOT fun anymore!

Oh. And one more cool little fact: I lost 2.48% of my weight this past week. Unfortunately, had I been on Week 1 of The Biggest Loser, I would have fallen below the yellow line - the lowest was 4.75%.

2 comments:

Jason Cooper said...

:) I don't think you'd have been voted off. I also still wonder how well we'd do if we were ON the biggest loser.

Wednesday is hump day because, if you graph the week like the first half of a sine curve, it's dead center, the apex ... we've climbed the hill of the first half, and it's all downhill from here! I can see my house from here!

I'm continuously proud of you to consistently focusing long enough to gym.

And ... before you change your post - I think it is funny that Peter does often whinny LOL.

uncle joe said...

I agree with Jason... Wednesday is in the middle, so its kinda like climbing a hill... just remember, the weekends are the best... :P :P

and while it may not be fun now, just wait until, when is it, June? you will look through this blog and be able to pat yourself on the back.

See ya on Friday!!!