Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 39: Mid-second Week Musings

Calories:
1570

Exercises:
Missed the Y today; ignored alarm clock and had no opportunity later during the day (went visiting).

Emotional Pulse:
Disappointed in missing workout; busy and tired most of the day and didn't pay much attention to four-hour intervals between meals.

Well, as you can see from the calorie count, I really wasn't keeping on top of my diet, exercise, or much of anything else. ::sigh:: Oh, well! At least a lot of laundry got done.

According to the scale, I seem to have dropped another pound; and that measurement taken at the end of the day as well! I am refraining from breaking out the tape measure mid-week to see if I've lost any more inches (though I'm fairly sure I have).

If you've ever watched the Biggest Loser, you'll most likely have heard of the "second week curse" and its effects on the participants. Usually, during the first week, contestants lose a huge amount of weight - I've seen up to 7% of their total body weight!! The second week generally returns less-than-satisfactory results with most of the contestants losing pathetically low numbers, staying the same weight, or actually gaining weight - all this with super extra working out.

Second week results tend to be lower because of the body's plateauing and beginning to adjust to lower calories and increased exercise. It is not uncommon, also, to have a large-number weight loss in one week followed by a lower-number weight loss the next, only to be followed the next week by a larger loss.

I have been wondering what my second week results hold for me and I'm waiting with bated breath until I take those documentable measurements Tuesday morning! Until then, I have been encouraged by my results to continue to adhere to my diet and exercise plans, though I need to work a bit harder at getting in my three meals and snack at appropriate intervals throughout the day.

3 comments:

Jason Cooper said...

ready to get back on the calorie treadmill this week? I saw the scale this morning and it encouraged me to stay focused throughout the day.

I will see you soon. Miss you.

*hug*

Me

uncle joe said...

don't get discouraged if you don't loose that much... you have the persistence (and an awesome husband too help you) to keep going... i know you can do it!!

can't wait until tomorrow!!! :P :P

Cris said...

I cried for joy at your first weight loss post. : ) What a delight it is to see the Lord working--and you getting closer to your goal.

In addition, you've inspired me to set the alarm and exercise! Which, is akin to moving a mountain.

I'm even hoping to pick up the Flat Belly book at the library soon. (I hate diets too!)

Anyway, keep up the good work! I know you will reach your goal.

Cheering and praying for you,

Cris