Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 44: The Bane of Week Two

Well, today was more discouraging than I was hoping it would be. Here are some stats to make my point:

Days remaining: 179
Pounds remaining: 144.5
Inches lost/gained: -1.25
Pounds lost/gained: -1.00
Percentage weight lost: 0.33%

I guess the dread of Week Two is legitimate. In theory, according to Bob and Jillian of the Biggest Loser, contestants lose the least weight - some even gain weight - during the second week of the contest, no matter how hard or how faithfully they dieted.

All this past week, I was watching the scale as I weighed in almost every morning. I watched as the pounds dropped away at a rate of almost one pound per day. I was SO excited! Something I had thought would be fun to do would be to compare my percentage of weight lost to the percentage of weight lost by the Biggest Loser contestants each week.

In order to stay above that yellow line of elimination this weigh-in, I would have had to have lost 4.5 pounds. To be the top scorer, I would have had to lose 7.5 pounds. Watching that scale, I felt for certain I would weigh in above the yellow line. Four pounds had dropped and I just needed that extra half pound... very doable in the two days I had remaining.

Imagine my horror when I stepped on the scale the next morning to realize I had gained 6.5 pounds!!! Now, I had gone to bed fairly late which caused some serious water retention, so I decided to get extra sleep the next night and drink lots of water during the day.

This morning, I awoke still with water retention, but at least the scale showed I had dropped a pound overall (7.5 pounds from my attempted weigh-in yesterday). I'm sure my inches suffered as well, yet I still lost one and a quarter inches overall!

So... Below the yellow line? Yup. Very discouraging? Absolutely. Am I giving up? Tempted, but probably not.

I still have 179 days in which to shed these unwanted pounds and I choose to believe that I have been a victim of the evil Week Two re-balancing act and that I will lose far more weight and inches this coming week - it's also an interesting statistic that you will follow a low-loss week with a higher-loss week.

Later, my favorite carbon units! Tomorrow morning will find me dark and early, jiggling away those extra pounds!

5 comments:

Jason Cooper said...

<3

I look forward to sharing the awesomeness of lost mass due to increased sleep.

Also, I'm proud of you for looking temptation in the nose, acknowledging it exists, then quickly setting it aside toward dedication of your goal.

You rock!

*hug*

uncle joe said...

ok, so jason has a way of beating me to whatever it was i wanted to say.... i must beat him too it one of these days... :P :P

but definitely, one of the biggest problems we face is not admitting that there is a problem... as we can see, you don't have a problem with that...

i personally don't think you would have gotten voted off, just cause all the other contestants would have totally connected with you, and they wouldn't be that cruel... :P :P

have fun with those carbon units... what were their names, pete and repete? :P :P

Anne said...

Hang in there, sweetie! It WILL happen. <3

Nathan Marr said...

(((Hugs))) I try to lose weight after every baby. I ALWAYS gain a little when I first start working at it, before I start losing. It is usually compensated by some of the pounds melting off after that, and then settles into a more steady weight loss.

Remember, if you are exercising, you are probably building muscle mass, ans muscle weighs more that the fat that you lost!

Keep up the good work! I think that you are doing great! "Do not grow weary in well doing, for in due season you shall reap, if you faint not." (unremembered Bible reference)

Misty

Sam & Chelsea said...

No, no, no...you won't give up! It is the second week...and only the second week! There's so much more time for your body to adjust and start cooperating. But you know that. :-) Thanks for being so real...God is giving you strength to kick this on a spiritual level and it will be lasting. Go knock 'em dead. Love ya!