Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 23: CARBS!

I had such high expectations today, but found I met none of them... aside from keeping my two tiny morsels from running amok. Most of the day, I felt lethargic and the pain in my head did nothing to lift that... plus, I had a firm desire to eat EVERYTHING in the house, especially nummy treats.

What is it with feeling depressed and eating carbohydrates anyway?!

I did a little reading and thinking on that subject and found that the desire for carbs in the late afternoon is a very normal part of being human. Okay. The human body needs carbs around that time to day to raise blood sugar levels and give a boost in energy to help us make it until dinner.

The problem is that many people either overdo their carb fix or use unhealthy carbs to get an energy boost. The danger lies in using carbs to constantly pick you up. Feeling low? Grab a Snickers. Feel great almost instantly. Enjoy a time of better mood and higher energy. Feeling low again? Go for a brownie and Starbucks frappuccino. Feel on top of the world once again. But for how long?

Carbs plus lack of self-discipline plus sedentary lifestyle equal extra weight and a dependency on carbs for improved mood and energy levels.

Did you know doing any activity vigorously for as little as thirty seconds can improve your metabolism and enhance your body's ability to process sugars? Not to mention, a brief burst of energy can really wake you up. Try it. I'm going to.

Next time I feel sluggish and strongly desire to turn to the chocolate or beloved Starbucks frappuccino for energy, I purpose to engage in thirty seconds of vigorous activity... and let you know how that works.

2 comments:

Jason Cooper said...

I have found that a quick drink of water helps too.

Nice post - honest, earnest, and awesome!

I wonder if laughter can do the same thing? You know how, you're feeling lumpy, and your next to someone else who is too, and you both get to laughing? Like that!

[waves]

Anonymous said...

Ruth, I love how confidently and openly you are sharing your weight-loss journey with us. It makes even the slowest and lowly feel just a little more honest. I have to comment: when there is anything remotely on my "avoid eating" list in the house I eat it. If there is no naughty food I nosh on peanut butter. Is your hubby and little guy in on the diet change? If not perhaps you should find a way to include them on your healthy eating and GET RID OF THE JUNK. If it ain't there you can't eat it!!! Invent new and more interesting ways to treat your successes (and your sweet tooth). And my thirty seconds? Pushups!!! Nothing like it to get your heart pumping! And you might even get an unexpected appetite for elevated heart rate and push your thirty seconds to a minute! The possibilities are endless. I know I don't have as much to lose as you do, but I am watching you closely and am encouraged by every effort you make. Heres to my last 10 lbs now and your last 10 in 150 days!!!
Lydia T