Monday, December 21, 2009

Week Two: Small Goals

The lights played gently across the sparkling surfaces of five gems, bound firmly together in their golden enclosure. Snuggled serenely amid three jewels of deepest blue, two diamonds winked knowingly up at the wearer, complementing the glow softly emanating from a plain gold circlet as it was slid slowly onto the fourth finger of her left hand. With a gentle and passing pressure, the wedding band glided over both finger joints and settled firmly at the base of her finger.

Both rings fit so beautifully...


Whoever decided that losing weight before and during this particular time of year has some twisted and sick sense of humor!! What does that say about me?! I am not one of those people who self-inflict the nameless torture of bypassing the myriad of toothsome holiday goodies. Those delights which shamelessly flaunt themselves and imply they possess the power to soothe all inner desires and cravings.

And yet I have purposed to get this weight off within a certain time frame.

The past seven days, though full of fun and fellowship, were full of calorie-laden treats, most of which were consumed at a far greater quantity than should have been allowed.

Yet, despite my failings to my project, the past week was not a total wash. Frequently, I would find myself choosing NOT to have excess sugary treats. I cut back on calorie-full beverages and extra desserts... except for two nights where I went all out and ignored my noble quest.

I have been pondering the benefits of short-term, small goals. Having over one hundred pounds to lose, it is extremely easy to become discouraged and never truly commit to getting the weight off... one pound at a time.

This week, I decided I needed at least one small goal per month... and I have found a goal for December and January!

For December, I think it would be amazing if I made it through the holiday time, parties, and goodies without gaining ANY weight whatsoever. Most likely, the way to accomplish this is by limiting portion sizes and by scrutinizing how much calorie-full drinks are being consumed each day.

My short-term small goal for January is to have my wedding band and engagement ring fit on my ring finger again. Right now, I have to wear the two rings on my little finger because I cannot get the rings past that last knuckle; not even with soap! The other drawback is that they are too loose for that finger and have been lost once before (and only once... I am extremely paranoid about losing them now)

I'm guessing it will take the loss of around twenty pounds to get the finger down to a size where both rings will fit comfortably. I furthermore believe this goal to be possible by the end of January.

So there it is, my first short-term goal on this mammoth journey.


4 comments:

Rebekah {nodeskrequired} said...

I'm proud of you, Ruthie. :) Praying for you as you work on your goal. I have weight to lose as well. Not physical weight, but the weight of stuff. I daresay mine and Michael's marriage will be a bit easier with this load of possessions lightened first (especially all my papers and photographs).

I've been trying hard to find motivation for really digging in. Perhaps by keeping up with your progress I'll be motivated to continue work on my goal. I need to have limited my files to two milk crates and my photos to one banker's box by the end of May.

Let's shed this weight!

Love you!

Jason Cooper said...

I'm proud of you for discovering meaningful subgoals at this stage, Baby Girl! To my mind, it just means you're that much more serious about staying focused!

I am excited to see your progress in this quest!

Keep it up!

Margaret in VA said...

Ruth,
I'm praying for you and think I'll join you in your goal of losing weight.
I manage to avoid mirrors that show anything below my neck (I'm so short)and so am always so shocked when I see a photo of myself!
I'm just so overwhelmed with how hard it is and how easy it all is to undo.

Are you going back to the gym?

Sam & Chelsea said...

You go girl! Love you and am excited to see you victorious in Him!!