Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 65: This Isn't Fun Any More

::Sigh:: Now that my accounts have been restored from the lovely hack job done on them this past week, it seems there are no more excuses to prevent me from posting something I completely did not want to post... at all.

Days remaining: 158
Pounds remaining: 145
Inches lost/gained: +0.25
Pounds lost/gained: +2.5
Percentage weight lost: +1.01%

In looking at the inches lost, my top half gained, but the lower half lost big time - which is kind of the whole point I'm trying to achieve here. An additional bonus is that five of my twelve measuring points are holding rock steady... and most likely will until the next large weight drop.

All of this is very statistical and fulfills my self-imposed requirements... and serves to try to skirt around the point that I've been trying to avoid talking about or posting for a while now: the past two weeks have been terrible from a dietary and exercise standpoint.

It's one thing to build a higher-calorie day into your diet, but another thing entirely to overdo it for the whole weekend. It's one thing to have a couple more bites of something at one meal and another thing to blow an entire meal later in the day.

Shortest way to say it - the week before last was a slippery slope. I saw the signs and decided to ignore them; primarily because it was more convenient to eat whatever and whenever I wanted to. Last week was full-scale plummeting with no attempt at keeping to a diet or getting to the gym.

Why? I suppose part of it was I was tired of counting calories, of early-morning jaunts to the gym, of trying to rearrange food choices to be more attractive or filling, of passing on desserts and sodas. It simply was too easy to do nothing.

Granted, there was a bright side to all this sliding. Even on the highest-calorie days, Jason and I would split the Subway foot-long or the Wendy's frosty or the WaWa turkey bowl instead of eating a whole portion each. Each time I went to Starbucks, I would chose a Tall instead of Venti drink and, on occasion, pass on the whipped cream.

So, I suppose progress is being made... slowly. But it's too slow and I desperately need to pick up the pace if I'm to make it anywhere near my goal. I have a phrase I use when a once-attractive pursuit becomes odious and onerous - "This isn't fun any more."

I have certainly hit the "this isn't fun any more" point in this project and, quite frankly, knowing how I normally operate, I'm surprised it's taken this long to get here. The distance I have to still go is discouraging and somewhat depressing. I promised honesty and here it is. Not pretty, somewhat embarrassing... but true.

At this point, I am working through my "feelings" by praying and trying to get to the bottom of why this kind of slippage is happening. I am back on the diet and have gone to the gym twice this week already. I really don't want to quit and don't intend to... I simply need to re-energize and re-commit.

4 comments:

uncle joe said...

awwww... thats sad... i for one will try my best to not put "bad" foods in front of you when you are here....

keep going, and i know you will break through... remember, wednesday is in the middle, so its all downhill from here... :P :P

Janette said...

I love the way you share your heart. This post has broken mine. You are fighting very hard. I will be praying for encouragement, constancy, a renewed vigor and hope for you. God be with you Ruth. You can do this!

Jason Cooper said...

Hello my loverly,

You did forget to mention the hijacking of your account; not as a justification, but perhaps by way of explanation?

I can do better about being more supportive as well - and I'm glad you did further research on those links I gave you. We'll make it through this!

No, it isn't fun any more. But I think we've even made it past the wall. We just need to keep walking.

We'll get there.
Together.

Signed,
Me

P.S. <3

Annette said...

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for sharing. I will use this to pray more deliberately. But perhaps most of all, I understand the sruggle. GREAT kudos for even attempting change, now is the time to do it. At 46 I decided to start running--thought I was too old--but completed my first marathon at 50. You can do this! Hang in there! Annette